Fantasy Football Free Agent Strategys Week 8
October 22, 2008 by MarkM
If you have been playing fantasy football, you can see that this year has been pretty different than in years past. This year, there are a several big name players who just haven’t been producing the ways we thought they would on draft day. One example of this for many of us, is Chad Johnson AKA Ocho cinco AKA Ocho Stinko. Chad Johnson numbers have been nothing more than pathetic, this season. He has not posted over 60 yards in any game and he also only has 2 td’s. This is a fantasy nightmare, Chad just has not been himself to say the least and it sucks because most people don’t know when to cut their losses, especially when it is a previously elite wide out. Week 8 byes are Chicago, Denver, Green Bay, Minnesota. However, you can still get quality pickups and starts through some of the top Free Agency moves. Their are alot of sleeper and great pickups out there in fantasy leagues so keep your eyes on these players.
1. Antonio Byrant- He has been playing, while Joey Galloway has been rehabbing a injury, John Gruden has stated that this WR has earned the Number 1 role and will not be moved no matter what during the rest of the season. Antonio Bryant was a top pick and has the potential to lead the league leaders in stats for a wide-out. This year, He has posted great numbers while Garcia has been in. Considering that Garcia is now the starter, Antonio will be a great pickup for anyone trying to revamp their wide outs. He is only owned in 60% of fantasy leagues so jump on him now!
2.Jeff Garcia- He won’t win you a fantasy title, but he definitely won’t cost you one. Jeff Garcia has been one of the most consistent fantasy QB’s over the last two years. If you are looking to add depth to your QB positions, look no further. He has been named the starter for the remainder of the season. He is only owned in 52% of fantasy leagues and that is just wrong. After a 300 yard outing in week 7 I would have though he would have been a top pick up in free agency.
3. Cedric Benson- I am not saying this guy is going to be a superstar back this season, but he has a renewed sense of urgency. This guy knows that he needs to get it done, and had a good showing on the Steelers piling up over 50 yards on the stingiest defenses against the run. Cedric Benson will not have the superior blocking he had at Chicago, but I guarantee you he will have a better attitude. He knows that he will have to work for everything. He has been named the starting RB for the remainder of the season, if you need another RB he is another person to look at. He is owned only in 39% of fantasy leagues so he is a definite sleeper pickup.
Other Notable pick ups
4. Lamont Jordan- For week 8, if Sammy Morris is injured and can’t go you must go with Jordan. The patriots have ran by committee all year but now they have no choice. If Morris does not play Lamont is the only RB with experience on the team.
5. Sammy Morris- Looks like the RB of the Pats future. Keep your eye on this guy. Remember last season he outplayed Maroney for the starting spot early in the season. I would not be surprised to see this guy being the staple of the Pats offense for the remainder of this season.
6. Cadillac (Carnell) Williams- This man is a elite NFL RB, who has been rehabbing his injury for over a year now. He was a top recruit and will be returning off the PUP list during Week 8. John Gruden has liked what he has seen from Cadillac and has stated that with him back, the Bucs will without fail receive a boost. It is very possible with Warwick Dunn hurt that he will receive a bulk of the carries and may reclaim his starting role sending Earnest Graham back to the FB position. Keep your eyes on this guy due to his explosive potential. Also if you need a RB and you have the room pick this guy up, the good in this case shouldoutweigh the bad later in this season. Personally, I am going to ride this pickup later on in the season to a fantasy championship.